Investing & sustaining - A Socially responsible good neighbour
Cruinn Associates were commissioned by Shell E&P Ireland's Social Investment & Performance team in 2014 to complete an analysis of their Social Community Investment Strategy from 2009-2014. Cruinn measured and evaluated Shell's €7M Community Investment programmes from 2009-2014 across the Erris region, Co. Mayo. Our research measured the social value and return these programmes generated including:
- Local Grants Programme
- Third Level Scholarship Programme
- Irish Language Scholarships Programme
- Corrib Natural Gas Erris Development Fund
Shell Ireland’s with its Corrib Gas Partners' (including Statoil and Vermillion Energy) invested €1.1 billion in the Corrib Gas Project involving 6,000 contractors was Ireland's largest construction site and largest ever energy investmernt. The Bellanaboy Bridge Gas Terminal will provide up to 60% of Ireland's gas needs at peak production.
Shell's stated commitment to sustainable development is to be a ‘good neighbour’ in the areas in which it operates. The key principle underlying the establishment of its social investment programmes was the provision of appropriate support to contribute to the long term development of the Erris region. Whilst enabling the communities with the region to identify and address their own needs and priorities, and ensuring that Shell Ireland in no way replaced the role of the Government or any other State agency or statutory funding.
The purpose of the analysis was to assist with building a long term sustainable social investment strategy for the Corrib Gas Project from 2016 onwards. The evaluation objectives included:
- To examine and analyse the social outcomes and impacts (non-financial) of the social community investment programmes funded and administered by Shell Ireland including grants and funding programmes.
- To determine and analyse leveraged investments (from other funding sources) obtained by community organisations as result of investment.
- To benchmark existing Corporate Social Responsibility/Social Investment programmes of other Multi-National Corporations operating in Ireland, including an overview of programme themes, reach and spend levels.
These programmes contribute to the long-term economic, social, environmental and cultural development of Kilcommon and the wider Erris region of Co. Mayo. Cruinn evaluated the wider community impacts in Kilcommon and the wider Erris region through Shell and its partners provision of both financial and non-financial assistance for the benefit of the local community. Cruinn produced a Final Report outlining the social outcomes and impacts of the Shell Ireland programmes, including leveraged funding achieved and overall learning from analysis to inform future strategy, including executive summary, findings and recommendations. Our work informed the future Social Investment strategy for Shell Ireland from 2016-2020 and fitted with Royal Dutch Shell’s global social investment and performance framework and associated KPIs.